Sunday, November 15, 2015

New Show in December

It's been awhile since I've participated in a gallery show, and I've held off from accepting any offers to show for several reasons.  The main one is because I've been focusing on new styles and creating a lighter, softer color palette instead of the bold, bright colorful abstracts that I had been doing for the past decade or so.  I've begun adding objects and symbols to the paintings.  They feel more personal and raw to me, and to be honest, I'm a bit nervous about how they will be accepted when the show opens on December 12, 2015 at FE Gallery in Sacramento, CA.

Houses, buildings and structures have always played a big role in my working career.  When I owned a residential property management company, I learned quickly how very personal ones home is to them.  It's not just a place where tenants store their stuff......a home is a place where memories are created, lived and sometimes longed to be forgotten.  Some homes hold loving, fond and kind energies while others are filled with static, angry and sometimes violent ones. 

After years in the business, I learned to "feel" my way through a home to learn more about their owners and the people who rented them, and can tell you the words often did not match the reality. 

"Somewhere......Out There" - 11" x 14" acrylic on canvas

"Somewhere.....out there" was based on a memory of an almost tragic event:  many years ago I managed an apartment building where a young girl was kidnapped.  After several weeks of searching, and the neighbors and families holding vigils at the building, the little girl was found alive in a pit outside a church in a neighboring county.  The girl's mother insisted she was "absolutely fine" and quickly moved out of the apartment and away from the area.  I've often wondered what became of them both and hope the little girl truly is OK.

"The Loving Cup" - 11" x 14" acrylic on canvas

"The Loving Cup" was based on another memory from the residential property management business.  I once rented to a very young couple who appeared to be madly in love.  They were engaged and married shortly after they moved in. A couple years later, they gave notice because they had purchased a home.  While doing the final walk-through inspection, the husband kept a tight grip on the wife's hand.  At first glance, I thought "how sweet - they are still so very much in love."

Then I began inspecting the property.  The place were clean, but the walls had at least a dozen fist-sized holes that had been newly patched.  In fact, the mud was still wet in some spots.  Shocked, I asked what happened and the wife looked down as her husband sheepishly grinned and shrugged his shoulders as if to say "you know." 

I quickly performed the rest of the walk through and took their keys.  After they left, I walked around the house again and found a coffee cup tucked away in a corner in the garage that said "I Will Love You Forever" on it.  I shuddered as I threw it in the trash and locked the doors.

Again, I am curious what happened to them and wonder if they're still together or if she's still even alive.

While I tend to forget many of the names of the people, I usually remember the properties.  What I don't forget is the memories of my feelings - they're ingrained in my soul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment