Friday, January 1, 2016

Day 1 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - "Bound for Glory"

"Bound for Glory" - 12" x 12" on .75" canvas - acrylic & graphite

I'm excited about participating in my 6th "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge.  Each time I try to work with a theme, and for 2016, I'm on a mission to simplify my life and let go of things and stuff in general.  Since I've managed to collect a rather embarrassing number of paintings over the years that just don't rock my world anymore, I decided it was time to paint over them.

The old paintings are all different sizes and on different substrates including canvas, wood panels and paper.  Many of the canvases are larger ones (12" x 12" to 36" x 72") and I'm excited about painting larger for the next 30 days.

Here is "Bound for Glory" - a redo of an old abstract that needed some work.  I'm also trying to use more neutral colors in my newer works, and am looking forward to incorporating them into this new series called "Reflections."  I toyed with the idea of posting "before and after" shots, but decided to just let the old designs pass peacefully away as I attempt to breathe new life into their memories.  Let me know what you think!!

10 comments:

  1. What a stunner!
    All the best this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start! I love your idea. Maybe I will do that in September! You are smart not to post before shots. Well meaning people are likely to say "I can't believe you painted over that nice painting." ;) Happy New Year and happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy - you articulated perfectly what I was unable to say about why I did not post the "before" shots :-) Happy New Year to you too and I look forward to seeing more of your art on the 30/30!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, JJ! I love your direction for this challenge. I'll be following along.
    - Connie
    www.cagleyart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I love your offering for today as well and just posted a comment/question.....I swear I see a woman's face in your painting - was it intentional or just a genius oops??!!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous painting and well written blog! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marti - I love your painting today too! Can't wait to see more of your beautiful work. You're an inspiration :-)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! You're such an inspiration! I look forward to watching your new work over the month. Great idea to use the older paintings. I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krista!! I'm excited about reusing the canvases too and hopefully turning them into something I like better than before.

      Delete
  6. This is chaotic fun! Makes me think of cotton candy at the fair, and childhood :)

    ReplyDelete