Friday, January 8, 2016

Day 8 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - "Precious Moments"

"Precious Moments" - 16" x 20" x 1.5" - mixed media on canvas
I generally sign my work in the front and the back of a painting when it's completed, and one of the challenges with painting over old canvases happens when there's a title already on the back of the piece.  I've been trying to create pieces that go with the previous titles and so far I think it's worked.  But I thought the new painting was a bit dark for the "Precious Moments" moniker. 

So I grabbed some Golden's Iridescent Gold (Fine) and painted the textured leaves and a few accent areas.  The result is quite beautiful, if I do say so myself.  It's really hard to capture the glistening leaves without distorting the rest of the painting, but I assure you they do shimmer brightly.  I had always shied away from using metallic paints, thinking they were more of a novelty item.  But with this challenge and all of the redo's, I think I'm beginning to change my mind!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting! Your use of the metallic paint on the textured leaves is brilliant.
    - Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie - I'm thrilled the gold showed through in the photo! I think I'm going to try using the textured leaves again in a future painting....it was fun to set them into the molding paste them pulling them up before the paste was 100% dry which gave them even more texture.

      Delete
  2. Oh JJ, I love this. I have felt the same about metallic ... This works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne!! I knew we were kindred spirits :-)

      Delete
  3. This is very beautiful and mysterious, I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! I love what you say about it being mysterious....perfect description.

      Delete
  4. I have always loved metallics, but I don't really think of their use for "fine art". But this totally proves my thinking wrong! Your palette is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Sheila - but these past few paintings that I've been doing with metallic accents are changing my way of thinking too!

      Delete