Thursday, January 7, 2016

Day 7 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - "Get Peace of Mind"

"Get Peace of Mind" - acrylic & gouache on 24" x 18" x 1.5" canvas

I'm getting into my stack of larger canvases now and here's a reworked one called "Get Peace of Mind."
This painting has lots of texture and is painted with acrylics, gesso and powdered gouache in addition to some upcycled, torn cardboard.  The cardboard is from the wrapping around packaged light bulbs, and is a thinner version of the cardboard found from boxes.  It absorbs the paint beautifully and gives the painting an added dimension that I really like.

Once again I apologize for the quality of the photo.  It really does look a LOT better than this photo shows.  After this challenge is over, I've decided I'm going to challenge myself and learn how to use my Panasonic Lumix camera with a Leica lens.  I bought it over 3 years ago but soon found I could take decent (and easy!) photos with my iPhone, so just abandoned it.

One more thing to add to my ever-growing "to-do" list for 2016! 

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful JJ, I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful JJ, I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy! I am a fellow 30 Paintings in 30 days artist. I love your work. I also got a kick out of what you wrote. I am in the same boat! I am hoping to learn how to take better pictures of my art this year as well with my Nikon that is collecting dust while I use my android. So much to learn when you are an artist. Anne Lahr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only camera-challenged artist in the group, Anne! I keep telling myself I am going to learn how to take good photos, but the paintbrush always seems to wind up in my hands instead of the camera :-)

      Delete
  4. Love your piece Judy! Taking accurate photographs is so hard so many times! I am also going to see about getting better photos of my art once the challenge is over. Maybe we should all start a group project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcela - I'm glad I'm not the only one having a tough time doing the photos.....I use my cell phone and it's been OK in the past but for some reason the larger paintings just don't seem to photograph well. I absolutely love your idea about a group project for artists!

      Delete
  5. Judy,
    The colors, texture and depth in this painting is amazing! I also love your use of light bulb wrapping.
    - Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cardboard! Great way to recycle! I love this, favorite colors... beautiful depth! I would love to hear more about powdered gouache. Love your work Judy!

    ReplyDelete