Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Day 19 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - "City Dreams"

"City Dreams" - 20" x 16" acrylic on 1.5" canvas

This painting was done entirely with a palette knife, something I haven't done in years.  I like the texture and blended colors you can get with acrylics and a palette knife, and may try to do a similar style piece or two before the challenge is over. 

Another cityscape using complementary colors - again a very limited palette.  I wanted to do something that looked Mid-Century, but didn't want to do turquoise with orange, so I opted for a creamy soft Light Ultramarine Blue by Golden instead.  The building shapes look contemporary to me though - and that worked for me.  I had to really hold myself back from trying to add more colors or change the "sky" - and I'm glad I did now.  I like the end result and would have lost it entirely had I gone rogue with my earlier desires!

I'm behind again in finishing the paintings (ie signing; wiring; varnishing; finishing the sides), and need to get a jump on that this week.  I know - in my spare time :-)  But seriously - I need to get those paintings finished so I can show them to another art consultant and her client.  Nothing like a little pressure to get this artist busy!

4 comments:

  1. Well done :)I would have wanted to "fix" the sky as well, but I love this just the way it is :)I love the way the shapes are hinted at again at the bottom. Also the obscured distant buildings are nice.Very "Mid" but so very today! Beautiful palette, did I already say I love this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila!! There's still a part of me that wants to go in and make a few changes, but I'm forcing myself to wait until the challenge is over. I'll post changes if/when I make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful,love the colors. I have to develop the habit to stop when the fiddling stage comes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful,love the colors. I have to develop the habit to stop when the fiddling stage comes on.

    ReplyDelete