Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Day 13 of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - "Lies We Tell Our Self"

"Lies We Tell Our Self" - 24" x 24" acrylic on 1.5" canvas
The original painting underneath this one was a big house from my House series of paintings, and was called "House of Lies."  It was a bit on the dark side and I never showed it to anyone or put it on-line. 

So when I decided to add this painting to my "do-over" pile of canvases, I debated whether to paint out the words and leave the house; or paint over the house and leave the words.  Underneath the two figures is the word "why?"  I intentionally left it partially visible to add more interest and give the painting a mysterious feel.

While painting the various layers over the house and rest of the painting, I somehow developed the black figure on the left side of the painting.  After looking at the piece for a long while, I decided to put the white shadow figure in, and it felt as though the black figure was telling something to the white one. 

Hence the title "Lies We Tell Our Self."  I don't think it's nearly as dark of a piece as it was before (dark as in ominous; foreboding; depressing) and I believe the figures add a spiritual, more personal feel to the piece.

2 comments:

  1. LOVELY work!
    All the best to YOU this month = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY like this. Very spiritual and, moody. I like the whimsy of the little white "birds", "hearts"...they can be what you want them to be. Love the idea of giving a painting a second life...

    ReplyDelete